Interview Them Back!
Questions to Evaluate an Employer's Trans-Competency
Provided by TransWork and the Independence Business Alliance, with special thanks to Al Sharrock of Career Wardrobe
Below is a suggested list of interview questions for trans and nonbinary job seekers. This is an ever-growing list of possible questions to ask your interviewer to gauge if this is a trans-friendly workplace or a good fit for you. You know what is safest and best for you, there is no right or wrong answer, pick and choose whichever of these questions feels right.
- Is this organization an IBA member?
- Has this organization ever hired a transgender person before?
- Do you have Trans customers or clients? How are they treated?
- Is there an LGBTQ or Trans-specific employee group?
- If not, would you be open to having one?
- Is there a responsive HR department?
- Who do I go to if someone is disrespectful of my name/ pronouns/ gender/ etc?
- Is there a formal process in place for these kinds of complaints?
- Has the staff engaged in meaningful training in regard to LGBTQ competencies?
- Will I be allowed to go by a name of my choosing, as opposed to the name on my ID?
- Have you had someone transition (and/or change their name, gender marker, pronoun) on the job? How was this change received by HR and/or coworkers?
- What is the dress code, will I be able to wear clothing/ pins/ etc that matches my gender?
- If hired, how will my hiring be announced? Will HR send an email with my name, pronouns, etc with my input or will I be expected to come out to everyone individually?
- Will my discretion be respected?
- Does this job offer healthcare benefits?
- Do these healthcare benefits cover gender-affirming surgeries, hormones, medications, etc.
- Is there a gender-neutral or single stall bathroom available?
- What are the bathroom policies in this building?
- Will I need an access code or key to get into the bathroom I need to use?