The Okra Project
The Okra Project is an American grassroots mutual aid collective that
provides support to black trans, non-binary, and gender-nonconforming people.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is the key
management leader of The Okra Project. The ED is responsible for overseeing
the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization.
The ideal candidate will be a values-driven, resourceful leader who can:
- Lead a mid-size non-profit organization.
- Build and sustain relationships with potential funders and community
- Create and manage budgets.
- Inspire, organize, and recruit board members.
- Lead and develop staff.
- Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, community outreach, and
other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Key Result Areas and Job Responsibilities:
1. Executive Leadership and Organizational Management
2. Fund Development
3. Brand Development and Enhancement
4. Community and Board Relations
Deliverables include but are not limited to:
- Contribute to the strategic plan and drive its implementation.
- Establish goals, objectives, and operational plans in collaboration with
the Board of Directors, staff, and other leaders.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the organization and ensure its
overall financial sustainability and long-term success.
- Establish Human Resources and administrative policies and procedures for
all functions and for day-to-day operations.
- Assure that the organization makes consistent and timely progress in
achieving its mission and target programmatic impact, and report results to
- Develop, implement, and evaluate fund development and financial plans, as
authorized by the Board, and manage the annual budget.
- Lead annual, quarterly, and monthly budget reviews, and periodic forecast
updates for the Board.
- Identify and utilize appropriate technology platforms to ensure effective
related cost and inventory control.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, contracts, and other
instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization, with the
assistance of legal counsel.
- Provide thoughtful executive leadership that is inclusive, transparent, and
empowering in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission
as defined by the Board of Trustees.
- Foster a collaborative culture and working environment, encourage
professional development, and champion accountability amongst staff.
- Communicate effectively with the Board by providing members with all
information necessary to function properly and make informed decisions in a
timely and accurate manner.
- As the Okra Projects priMeri spokesperson, effectively represent the
organization and promote a positive brand image to key constituents, the
media and the general public.
- A proven track record of growing organizational capacity and programmatic
- A strong passion for the Okra Project’s mission and programs
- Familiarity with organizing to promote social justice.
- 5 or more years of leadership experience preferred. Demonstrated success in
fostering a shared vision, defining goals and objectives, defining, and
promoting organizational core values, tracking results, and holding people
accountable, coaching, and developing staff, managing, and developing
high-performance teams, and financial management.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fund development experience with
the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate
communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative