Philadelphia Museum of Art
We Are Committed to an Inclusive Workplace
At the Philadelphia Museum of Art, we actively seek to employ a diverse group
of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage
individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from marginalized
and underrepresented groups in the museum field, who are inspired by our
shared purpose and enjoy working collaboratively with others.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry,
citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial
status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital
status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran
status, or any other protected status.
How You Will Contribute
The Archivist is responsible for participating in and providing assistance
with all aspects of making the museum’s archival collections accessible,
usable, and findable. This work includes tasks related to records management,
accessioning, arrangement, description, preservation, reference, and oral
Specifically, you will:
• Process archival collections according to best practices and standards.
This may include but is not limited to the following: inventorying,
rehousing, sorting, arranging, and describing archival materials, both analog
• Create and update data in our archival collections management system,
ArchivesSpace, to include folder level details and/or other contextual
• Provide records management advice, training, and oversight.
• Maintain and expand the museum’s oral history program.
• Assist with a range of internal and external reference requests.
Your background and experience include:
• Master’s degree in Library or Information Science degree or equivalent
experience working with archives
• Experience processing large and/or complicated archival collections
• Awareness of current archival issues and tools, particularly in relation
to records management and born-digital records
• Detail oriented or data entry related work
• Comfortable working independently
• Knowledge of ArchivesSpace, Preservica, Archive-It, or ePADD a plus
Position and Compensation Details
• The salary for this position is $48,500
• This position is full-time, exempt, and 35 hours per week.
• This position is part of the AFSCME Local 397 bargaining unit.
• This is a one-year term position.
• COVID-19 vaccination required.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage candidates to
apply early as the position will close once we have a robust applicant pool
or a candidate has been selected.
What We Offer
Our employees are at the center of the museum. As an employee, you will have
access to numerous museum perks including, but not limited to:
• Free general admission to the museum for you and your immediate family
• Discounted guest tickets for admission
• Discounts on gift memberships
• Special staff tours and presentations from our curatorial and
• Discounts at the museum restaurant, museum cafés, and museum retail and
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for employees* including:
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits
• Fully paid short-term disability insurance, long-term disability
insurance, and life insurance
• Health savings or flexible spending account program
• Retirement savings program with museum match
• Paid vacation, personal days, sick days, and holidays
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on a variety of factors including
the employee’s regular schedule and tenure.