Philadelphia Museum of Art
We Are Committed to an Inclusive Workplace
At the Philadelphia Museum of Art, we actively seek to employ a diverse group
of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage
individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from marginalized
and underrepresented groups in the museum field, who are inspired by our
shared purpose and enjoy working collaboratively with others.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry,
citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial
status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital
status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran
status, or any other protected status.
How You Will Contribute
The Art Technician focuses on art handling. Logistics, and safe transit of
artwork between museum facilities and various locations throughout the
greater Philadelphia region, including nearby metropolitan cities. This
position also assists with maintaining the museum’s off-site storage
facility for art and related materials as needed.
As a team member of the Registrars’ office, the Art Technicians work
cooperatively with one another and collaborate directly with staff in
Installations and Packing, Curatorial and Conservation on an ongoing basis to
ensure the safe transportation of art objects, proper documentation, and the
care of the museum’s collection in accordance with museum best practices.
Technicians must be organized, careful, and considerate with great attention
to detail, art handling experience, and be comfortable driving box trucks.
This position reports to the main building of the museum or to its off-site
art storage facility as needed.
Specifically, you will:
• Drive museum vehicles to pack and transport artwork
• Load and offload artwork; pick up, and deliver a wide variety of works of
art (all media) from various sites including homes and businesses
• Install and deinstall artwork as needed
• Careful art handling and packing during pick-up and delivery
• Communicate timely information concerning transport to Registrar
• Understand the principles of art care and basic knowledge of professional
museum principles, practices, and procedures related to the collection,
preservation, and exhibition of objects.
• Performs any other duties related to art handling, maintenance of the
collection, and the functions described above.
Your background and experience include:
• Experience in and understanding of current fine arts packing principals
to fabricate packing to safely ship artwork.
• Experience with art handling.
• Current valid drivers’ license with good driving record. Must possess
or be able to obtain a DOT Medical Card.
• Ability to drive Sprinter Van. Truck driving experience (20’ box
• Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team.
• Woodworking skills and use of various shop equipment including table,
radial arm and band saw a plus.
• Must be able to use (or be trained to use) forklift and other equipment
necessary to access works of art.
• Motivated, responsible and dependable
• Uncompromising discretion, professionalism and work ethic.
• Collections Management database experience, preferably TMS, desired.
Position and Compensation Details
• The salary for this position is $36,000.
• This position is full-time, non-exempt, and 35 hours per week.
• This position is part of the AFSCME Local 397 bargaining unit.
• COVID-19 vaccination required.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage candidates to
apply early as the position will close once we have a robust applicant pool
or a candidate has been selected.
What We Offer
Our employees are at the center of the museum. As an employee, you will have
access to numerous museum perks including, but not limited to:
• Free general admission to the museum for you and your immediate family
• Discounted guest tickets for admission
• Discounts on gift memberships
• Special staff tours and presentations from our curatorial and
• Discounts at the museum restaurant, museum cafés, and museum retail and
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for employees* including:
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits
• Fully paid short-term disability insurance, long-term disability
insurance, and life insurance
• Health savings or flexible spending account program
• Retirement savings program with museum match
• Paid vacation, personal days, sick days, and holidays
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on a variety of factors including
the employee’s regular schedule and tenure.