Outpatient Community Health Worker
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Location: LOC_ROBERTS-Roberts Ctr Pediatric Research
Req ID: 134692
Employment Status: Regular - Part Time
The Community Health Worker (CHW) will work with care coordinators and social workers to support medically complex patients in the context of the medical home practice. The CHW will act as a community liaison to support patients and families in better managing their medical and social needs until goals are reached as defined by the health care team. This includes making home visits, connecting families to community resources, and communicating family needs with the larger care team. The CHW will work in both clinical and community-based settings, including patients’ homes, interfacing with the LGBTQ+ community, as well as performing a lot of outbound duties.
- Assist patients and families in identifying education, information, referral and advocacy related to the management of their medical and social needs.
- Work to reduce cultural and socio-economic barriers between patients and institutions.
- Refer families to community resources, social services, insurance providers and other relevant providers for medically complex patient and families recommended or identified by the care team.
- Accompany families to meetings in the community, including school meetings.
- Continuously expands knowledge and understanding of community resources and services.
Teamwork and Communication
- Motivate patients to be active and engaged participants in their health and overall wellbeing.
- Enhance communication between provider and patient to clarify cultural practices.
- Communicate identified family needs to the larger care team, including the social worker and nurse care coordinators.
- Work collaboratively and effectively within a team. Build and maintain positive working relationships with the patients, providers, care coordinators, social workers and office staff, from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Provide clear and concise documentation of patient/family interactions and home visits.
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: High School/GED
Required Experience: Community-based health work, working in the pediatric community, care coordination, or case management.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Licenses/certificates/registrations: Valid driver’s license
Additional Technical Requirements
- Ability to travel by car or independence on public transit, taxi or ride sharing program
- Knowledge of local community agencies and organizations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communications skills, problem solving skills, teaching and coaching skills and community networking skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Permanent residence within the practice community preferred but not required.
- Personal experience with medical complexity preferred but not required.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146