We’re not looking for rockstars, zombies, or magicians. We’re looking for
motivated, creative, and resourceful developers who take pride in their work
and want to partner with clients who are pushing the boundaries of the
technology we work with.
Software Developers at Alley work collaboratively to understand the
challenges facing our clients and implement effective and meaningful
technological solutions, frequently using WordPress. Your responsibilities
will range from technical discovery that informs custom feature builds to
custom architecture and development to large-scale data migrations for a high
volume of content.
Software Developers at Alley need to be well-rounded technologists who have a
holistic understanding of the web technology stacks that we work with, are
excited about keeping our team at the cutting edge, and are eager to work
directly with clients to help them solve interesting and novel business
Alley is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in
the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, Black people,
indigenous people, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, disabled people, and
other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field. To learn more
about how Alley values diversity, equity and inclusion, read our DEI pledge.
For information on our hiring process and what it’s like to work at Alley,
please check out our FAQ. If you have any questions about our hiring process,
please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
* Our primary development language is PHP. You must be fully fluent in PHP
and have worked with it in a professional context before.
* Prior experience with WordPress and/or Laravel is a major plus. If you
haven’t worked with either, you should be excited to learn and develop with
Node) and related tooling, including webpack. Previous experience is a plus,
and a willingness to learn it is essential.
* Alley prides itself on its ability to address unusual, novel, and complex
problems that deal with the intersection of technology, business, and content
production. You should understand and be able to discuss web technologies and
systems conceptually, and be able to demonstrate that you can learn a new
language, technology stack, or framework quickly and on demand.
* You should feel comfortable at a Unix command line, even if you aren’t an
* You must know your way around git and understand version control well, and
be able to carry out typical operations with it, including branching,
merging, submitting code for peer review, and reviewing your peers’ code
* We apply Scrum as a development methodology, and broadly endorse Agile as a
philosophy. You must be open to working this way as well, and prior
experience is a plus.
* You should also have very strong written and verbal communication skills,
and the ability to wield them with both team members and clients.
* Discipline concerning delivery dates, stylistic appreciation of what makes
code good and readable, and a committed attitude about documentation, user
stories, issue tracking, and timesheets are all very important skills for our
developers to have.
* Competitive salaries - We recognize several levels of career progression
for developers and tie compensation to those levels corresponding to their
seniority and experience. We are currently searching for developer candidates
to join at any of our first four levels, with base salaries starting at $50k,
$80k, $90k, and $105k. If you consider yourself to be at a higher level, we
still encourage you to apply and can discuss additional opportunities with
* Medical, dental and vision benefits
* 401k with company matching
* Profit sharing
* Monthly lunch allowance
* Flexible schedules - We do not limit vacation or sick time. We trust our
team members to get their work done and take the time off they need to
* Remote first
* We are a fully distributed company, meaning we don’t have a set work
location. Team members can choose to work from home or from a co-working
space. We’ll furnish your home office or rent you a co-working space.
Recruiters: Please do NOT contact us about this job. All hiring duties at
Alley are carried out by our staff.