Defender Association of Philadelphia
Looking to make a difference! Become a Defender!
Who is the Defender Association?
The Defender Association of Philadelphia is more than just a law firm.
We’re the community’s lawyers. The Defender team – more than 500
attorneys, social workers, investigators, administrators, and other staff –
make sure that everyone, regardless of income, has access to high-quality
defense when facing criminal charges. Our mission-driven, client-centered
model focuses on outcomes that support a system that is fundamentally fair
and creates safer, stronger communities. Follow us @PhilllyDefenders
(Twitter, Instagram & TikTok) and on LinkedIn.
The Grant Specialist will support the mission of the Defender Association of
Philadelphia and is responsible for all aspects of grant activities in
compliance with the organization’s goals and objectives. Reporting to the
Director of Policy, the Grant Specialist will collaborate with all Units to
play an essential role in fundraising to support the Defender’s critical
initiatives across Units that require external funding, in deepening
relationships with current foundation funders/potential funders, and in
furthering the organization’s growth goals by identifying new funding
opportunities. The Grant Specialist oversees the grant application process
from beginning to end as well as writing grant proposals and reports,
producing responses to government RFPs (Request for Proposals), and
researching foundations and other potential funding opportunities. Working
closely with the executive and management teams of all our Units and staff
across the organization, the Grant Specialist plays an essential role in
Defender’s identification of funding needs, fundraising and program growth.
This is a hybrid position.
What You’ll Do
• Researches various types of grants available to further our strategic
initiatives, criminal justice reform initiatives, indigent defense, youth
justice, child advocacy, community education and non-profit
leadership/training development and identifies the criteria to qualify for
• Discusses available sources of funding with the executive and management
teams. Prioritizes funding needs.
• Compiles necessary information and verifies its accuracy for the
application process through collaboration with other employees, database
research, and other factfinding actions and meetings.
• Works closely with Finance Departments to develop grant budgets and
• Writes concise, articulate and persuasive grant proposals and narratives
• Drafts and completes grant applications according to application
• Ensures grant is submitted on time and within application parameters.
• Completes all documents, forms, or reports required by the grant.
• Ensures compliance with all awarded grant requirements, including reports
• Coordinates the monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects that
are funded by grants.
• Serves as a liaison to funding agencies
• Develops relationships with new and existing funders.
• Develops and maintains master files on grants and paperwork connected to
programs funded by grants.
• Incorporates criminal legal system information into required documents
• Assists with Community Education and other development projects
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need
• Ability to adapt to changing needs of the Defender Association and to
work collaboratively with all Defender staff
• A minimum of three years of experience in grant writing, research,
submission, and management
• Experience with or strong knowledge of non-profit fundraising landscape
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools and familiarity with publishing
• Familiarity with eGrants or JustGrants a plus
• Excellent interpersonal skills, problem-solving capabilities, and
• Exemplary writing skills; ability to write clear, articulate, and
• Robust editing skills with attention to detail
• Occasional travel to community events and funders
• Requires full Covid vaccination or approved exemption request
Benefits & Perks
• Very generous and rich benefits plan with many employer paid benefit
• Substantial paid time off
• Salary commensurate with experience
• Hybrid schedule
• 401(b) with Employer Match
• Meaningful & Impactful Work
• Growth Opportunities
• Ongoing Training and Development of You