Sleep Writer, The Strategist
The Strategist is seeking a Writer who can own our sleep product coverage, which includes mattresses, pillows, sleep aids, and adjacent products. A companion to New York Magazine's award-winning print section of the same name, The Strategist offers rigorously vetted articles to help readers navigate the vast online shopping landscape. Our goal is to find the stuff out there that is actually worth buying — essential products that are really good and that we fully believe in — alongside the things you never knew you needed.
WHO WE ARE
The Strategist is New York Magazine’s site for rigorously reported service journalism that helps readers shop smartly. Its writers and editors surface the stuff that is actually worth buying, alongside all sorts of things you never knew you needed.
The Strategist is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Write and/or update 4-5 shopping stories per week, most of which require a combination of interviewing experts, requesting product samples, testing products on your own, and providing guidelines for testing across the wider staff
- Closely monitor shopping trends, product launches, and consumer habits on your beat and pitch relevant stories
- Work on 1-2 long-term, ambitious editorial projects a year, while balancing short-term assignments
- Perform additional responsibilities, as assigned by editors
WHO YOU ARE
- 3+ years of professional journalism experience, especially e-commerce and/or service journalism
- Keen interest and understanding of sleep products, especially mattresses and pillows, preferred — but not required
- Familiarity with the Strategist’s voice and approach to service journalism, including the ability to understand and translate product specs and technical jargon into reader-friendly service — with a hint of healthy skepticism toward bold marketing claims
- Ability to work independently, especially around coming up with plans for product testing
- Enthusiasm for developing and maintaining a wide network of sources, including medical professionals, academics, and other professionally sleep-obsessed people
- Excellent communication and task management skills, especially in working with a distributed team across time zones
- Strong and fast-paced writing skills for a digital publication
- If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
This position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement between the Company and The NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.
The salary range listed below represents the minimum and maximum base pay for this position at the time of this posting. Final salary offered to the candidate selected for the position will be based on factors including but not limited to the candidate's skills and experience.