User Experience (Front-end) Developer
We’re not looking for rockstars, zombies, or magicians. We’re looking for
motivated, creative, and resourceful developers who take pride in their work
and want to partner with clients who are pushing the boundaries of the
technology we work with.
User Experience (UX) Developers at Alley work collaboratively at the
intersection of web development, design, and information architecture. Your
responsibilities will range from prototyping web products alongside designers
to developing and maintaining front-ends for highly trafficked websites.
UX Developers at Alley need to be well-versed in the fast-changing landscape
of front-end technologies and practices, excited about keeping our team at
the cutting edge, and eager to work directly with clients to help them solve
interesting and novel business problems.
Alley is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in
the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, Black people,
indigenous people, people of color, 2SLGBTQIA+ people, disabled people, and
other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field. To learn more
about how Alley values diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), read our DEI
For information on our hiring process and what it’s like to work at Alley,
please check out our FAQ. If you have any questions about our hiring process,
please contact us at email@example.com.
* This is not an entry-level position. We expect candidates to have some
professional experience writing software. Seasoned developers will flourish
with our balance of independence and support, while entry-level developers
would not get the direct oversight they need to succeed.
* You share our passion for making the web indexable and accessible through a
deep and practical understanding of semantic HTML5 and have worked with it in
a professional context before.
* Translating designs into CSS is one of our core services to clients. It’s
important you have an understanding of modern concepts such as flexbox, CSS
Custom Properties, and CSS Grid. You also are familiar with CSS
preprocessors, their syntax, and their usage.
* You like to think critically and theoretically about human-computer
interactions, so we’ll ask that you are fluent and can build front-end
components using native DOM APIs (such as element creation, querying, and
manipulation, events and event handling, and data fetching) and have done so
in a professional context.
* You are comfortable with modern ES standards and understand transpilers and
module bundlers. Familiarity with Node.js and webpack are not requirements,
but are a big plus.
* Maintainable code makes a maintainable website, part of which is separating
presentation and business logic and creating clean, organized front-end
templates to do it. Understanding of React components, JSX, and PHP
Templating are a big plus.
* Alley takes site performance seriously—sites should be beautiful and
usable, but also fast. You’re familiar with front-end speed and performance
concerns and you know common strategies to alleviate them.
* Users access sites in unexpected ways, so you should be used to dealing
with compatibility issues and checking your work systematically on various
devices and browsers.
* You should feel comfortable at a Unix command line, even if you aren’t an
* You must know your way around git and understand version control well, and
be able to carry out typical operations with it, including branching,
merging, submitting code for peer review, and reviewing your peers’ code
* Our work almost always uses WordPress as a CMS. Prior experience with
WordPress and/or PHP is a major plus.
* We apply Scrum as a development methodology, and broadly endorse Agile as a
philosophy. You must be open to working this way as well, and prior
experience is a plus.
* You should also have very strong written and verbal communication skills,
and the ability to wield them with both team members and clients.
* Discipline concerning delivery dates, stylistic appreciation of what makes
code good and readable, and a committed attitude about documentation, user
stories, issue tracking, and timesheets are all very important skills for our
developers to have.
* Must be located within the US or Canada.
* Competitive salaries – We recognize several levels of career progression
for developers and tie compensation to those levels corresponding to their
seniority and experience. We are currently searching for developer candidates
to join us with base salaries starting at $80k, $90k, and $105k. If you
consider yourself to be at a higher level, we still encourage you to apply
and can discuss additional opportunities with you!
* Medical, dental and vision benefits
* 401k with company matching
* Profit sharing
* Monthly lunch allowance
* Flexible time off policy
* Remote first – We are a fully distributed company, meaning we don’t
have a set work location. Team members can choose to work from home or from a
co-working space. We’ll furnish your home office or rent you a co-working
Recruiters: Please do NOT contact us about this job. All hiring duties at
Alley are carried out by our staff.